PERMANENT | FULL TIME
Our city is one of a kind. Upper Hutt is recognised as a great place for families and for people who enjoy the best of the outdoors. The team at Upper Hutt City Council work together to enhance the quality of life in Upper Hutt by providing leadership, support and services to our community.
The Parks and Reserves Team are a busy team who are responsible for the city’s parks and reserves, cemetery, facilities management of Council buildings and waste minimisation for the community. The growing team has a need for a Waste Minimisation Officer whose role will include a focus on waste behaviour and management of the solid waste activity. This role will also be primarily used for the support in implementing Upper Hutt’s actions from the Wellington Region Waste Minimisation and Management Plan and the Solid Waste Management and Minimisation Bylaw 2020.
Key responsibilities in this broad role include:
- Building strong community networks
- Delivering projects and education of people about waste minimisation and sustainable living
- Policy advice and project management of waste minimisation projects
To be considered for this role we are ideally looking for someone educated to degree level or with a comparative vocational qualification, or with a proven track record in a relevant field. Ideally, they will also have:
- experience educating others about sustainable behaviour
- experience in the waste reduction and recycling sector
- experience in project management (within the waste/recycling sector)
- experience in designing communication materials (preferred, but not essential)
- excellent organisational skills including, accurate record keeping and managing budgets
- demonstrated data collection and analytical skills
- a good knowledge of standard office packages (Sharepoint, Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint)
Working with the Upper Hutt City Council is a rewarding way to support the community, work with a great team, and develop your career. We do more than just pay you a salary, we have a range of great benefits to support you. With 50% of the Wellington regions green space, boutique shopping, award winning Brewtown and quirky cafes all within walking distance, train station close by and free parking, Upper Hutt is a great choice for your next career move.
Applications close at 9am on Wednesday 1 December 2021.
All applications must include a cover letter, CV and a completed Upper Hutt City Council application form (you can complete this online).
It is important for applicants to know that Council is currently working though what roles are covered by the Education Mandate and implications for roles working with children. As this role works with children it is highly likely that this role needs to be undertaken by a vaccinated individual. At the same time we are also undertaking health and safety risk assessments to determine the risks of COVID-19 in our workplace and whether vaccinations are inherent to ensuring the health and safety of our team and customers.
NOTE THAT YOU MUST HAVE THE RIGHT TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS ROLE.