Permanent | Full Time
Our city is one of a kind. Upper Hutt is recognised as a great place for families and for people who enjoy the best of the outdoors. The team at Upper Hutt City Council work together to enhance the quality of life in Upper Hutt by providing leadership, support and services to our community.
This is an opportunity that doesn’t come up often. The General Counsel is a trusted advisor to the Executive Leadership Team and the wider Council, providing strategic legal advice and practical guidance to support the activities of the Council. This role leads the Legal team with two direct reports (Solicitor and Legal Secretary/Administrator).
Key responsibilities in this broad role include:
- Providing legal advice, LGOIMA advice and acting as solicitor for the Council including in the Environment Court
- Leading the Legal team and acting as Privacy Officer
- Assisting Council with risk management and its compliance programmes
To be considered for this role we are ideally looking for:
- Bachelor of Laws (minimum) with current NZLS practicing certificate
- At least five years post qualification experience
- Land law expertise, ideally with RMA experience
- Experience in a respected law practice or in-house experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the ability to engage with people throughout the organisation, and external advisers.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office
Working with the Upper Hutt City Council is a rewarding way to support the community, work with a great team, and develop your career. We do more than just pay you a salary, we have a range of great benefits to support you.
With 50% of the Wellington regions green space, boutique shopping, award winning Brewtown and quirky cafes all within walking distance, train station close by and free parking, Upper Hutt is a great choice for your next career move.
If you would like to be considered for this role then please apply online. All applications must include a cover letter, CV and a completed online Upper Hutt City Council application form.
Applications close on Sunday 7th March 2021 at 4pm.
Note you must have the right to work in New Zealand to be considered for this role.