Permanent | Full time
Do you want to make a difference and be part of something bigger?
Are you keen to work for a talented team that knows how to work hard but have fun along the way?
Then you may just be the person we are looking for.
Upper Hutt is recognised as a great place for families and for people who enjoy the best of the outdoors. The team at Upper Hutt City Council work together to enhance the quality of life in Upper Hutt by providing leadership, support and services to our community.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and customer focused individual to join the Building Control Services team as a Building Support Officer.
Reporting to the Building Control Services Manager you will have the opportunity to be an integral part of the team involved in a wide range of duties from administrative support to appointment booking and customer service.
The ideal candidate will take on challenges with positivity and enthusiasm, co-operating and engaging with others, developing strong relationships across all levels and operating as an effective team player to support the work of Council.
You will have excellent customer service and communication skills, be self-motivated and exceptionally well organised. You will enjoy working independently and have good general numerical and computer skills with expertise in Microsoft Word and Excel.
What are you waiting for? Give Leyla Paine our Building Control Services Manager 0276839517 – we’d love to share our plans and our passion.
To be considered for this role we are ideally looking for:
Qualifications/Experience and Technical Knowledge
- Successful completion of secondary education or lesser qualification with relevant work experience in a similar field in local government.
- Knowledge of property information systems, the Building Act and related legislation and regulatory processes.
- The ability to read building plans, maps and other graphical material associated with development proposals.
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Word/Excel/Outlook products and the ability to adapt to new computer programs easily.
- Have good proven administrative skills
- Excellent written communication skills.
Personal Attributes and skills:
- Outstanding customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to deal with complaints and awkward customers.
- Meticulous in attention to detail and the ability to perform computer operations such as data entry, record maintenance and the generation of statistics and reports.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision as well as part of a team.
- Effective time management and workload management skills.
Working with the Upper Hutt City Council is a rewarding way to support the community, work with a great team, and develop your career. We do more than just pay you a salary, we have a range of great benefits to support you.
With 50% of the Wellington regions green space, boutique shopping, award winning Brewtown and quirky cafes all within walking distance, train station close by and free parking, Upper Hutt is a great choice for your next career move.
If you would like to be considered for this role then please apply online: https://www.upperhuttcity.com/Your-Council/Work-for-us .
All applications must include a cover letter, CV and a completed Upper Hutt City Council application form.
Applications close 9am Monday 6 December 2021.
NOTE THAT YOU MUST HAVE THE RIGHT TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS ROLE.
It is important for applicants to know that Council is currently working though what roles are covered by the Education Mandate and implications for roles working with children. As this role works with children it is highly likely that this role needs to be undertaken by a vaccinated individual. At the same time we are also undertaking health and safety risk assessments to determine the risks of COVID-19 in our workplace and whether vaccinations are inherent to ensuring the health and safety of our team and customers.