Maidstone Max Upgrade
- Project typeCommunity and Recreation
- Project value$3.804 million
24 August 2020 | Maidstone Max now closed for upgrade
We have now closed Maidstone Max playground for the upgrade works. All other areas of Maidstone Park remain open. We’re expecting to open the new playground in April 2021. Our other two destination spaces—Harcourt Park and Trentham Memorial Park are also open.
03 August 2020 | Play park upgrade will be "worth the wait"
Work to deliver a top class community recreation attraction of regional significance looks set to swing into action later this year.
A full-scale redevelopment of Upper Hutt’s Maidstone Max play area is slated to get underway in August, with the park closing to accommodate the redevelopment.
The upgrade was one of the 11 projects consulted upon and budgeted for as part of Upper Hutt City Council’s Long Term Plan 2018-2028.
Click here to read the full news release.
As outlined in the Long Term Plan 2018 – 2028, the Maidstone Max Upgrade Project consists of a complete redevelopment of the existing facility to ensure the play area continues to be a regional destination.
$3.804 million was earmarked for this project in the Council’s Long Term Plan 2018 – 2028.
The construction on the project is scheduled to be completed in March 2021.
For more details check out the photo gallery below.
An outline of the design theme is as follows:
- This is a strong creative theme of imaginative or fantasy that all ages can relate to, being a recurring theme in popular culture.
- This is a theme that inspires free, unstructured play with less prescriptive play features.
- This theme is classic and more timeless, harking back to the older style fort park but is still packed with modern play items and opportunities.
- There is a real focus on accessible play for users of all abilities in this design, including specialist swings, other interactive features, and ramp access to the top of the castle for anyone with limited mobility or using a wheelchair/push chair.
- This design utilises the existing mound, although lowering and smoothing it, which helps to reduce spend on site clearance during construction.
- This design incorporates sand play, which we don’t have in any of our other parks, and musical play in the Bards Compass area – adding uniqueness as a destination and catering to all ages and abilities.
- Significant amenities improvements: additional double accessible toilet block near young children play area, seating and picnic tables, shade elements, waste/recycling bins, lighting, security cameras.
- Enlarged state-of-the-art skate park.
- New half basketball court.
- Refurbished flying fox.
- Accessible central castle feature.
- Pump track for younger/learner scooter and bike riders.
+64 4 527 2169