Maidstone Max Upgrade
- Project typeCommunity and Recreation
- Project value$5.19 million
- Project scheduleCompleted
- Contractor nameVarious
- Completion Date21 May 2021
26 May 2021 | Maidstone Max now open
Maidstone Max - Tō Tātou Papa Tākaro, Upper Hutt’s premier adventure play space reopened to the public on 22 May.
A selection of photos from the opening event are available in the gallery below, and see the Newshub coverage in this video:
As outlined in the Long Term Plan 2018 – 2028, the Maidstone Max Upgrade Project consists of a complete redevelopment of the existing facility to ensure the play area continues to be a regional destination.
$3.804 million was originally earmarked for this project in the Council’s Long Term Plan 2018 – 2028, with additional funding approved following community consultation on the scope and final design work.
For more details check out the photo gallery below.
An outline of the design theme is as follows:
- This is a strong creative theme of imaginative or fantasy that all ages can relate to, being a recurring theme in popular culture.
- This is a theme that inspires free, unstructured play with less prescriptive play features.
- This theme is classic and more timeless, harking back to the older style fort park but is still packed with modern play items and opportunities.
- There is a real focus on accessible play for users of all abilities in this design, including specialist swings, other interactive features, and ramp access to the castle for anyone with limited mobility or using a wheelchair/push chair.
- This design utilises the existing mound, although lowering and smoothing it, which helps to reduce spend on site clearance during construction.
- This design incorporates sand play, which we don’t have in any of our other parks, and musical play in the Bards Compass area – adding uniqueness as a destination and catering to all ages and abilities.
- Significant amenities improvements: additional double accessible toilet block near young children play area, seating and picnic tables, shade elements, waste/recycling bins, lighting, security cameras.
- Enlarged state-of-the-art skate park.
- New half basketball court.
- Refurbished flying fox.
- Accessible central castle feature.
- Pump track for younger/learner scooter and bike riders.