Vote (including special voting and voting return stats)

Voting Papers (see also Special Voting) 

Voting papers for the 2019 Local Government Elections are being mailed to those who are enrolled on the Electoral Roll commencing 20 September 2019 through to 25 September 2019. If you have not received your voting papers by 27 September, please contact Wendy Lewin, Deputy Electoral Officer on 04-5272133. Please be aware, it is possible not every member of a household will receive their voting papers on the same day.

Complete your voting papers and return them:

  • in the freepost envelope via any New Zealand Post box (post no later than 8 October 2019), to find your nearest NZ Post box, click here
  • Civic Administration Building, 838-842 Fergusson Drive during office hours (8am-5pm, Monday to Friday) or in the Council drop box in the layby area at the front of the Civic Administration Building
  • Central Library, 844 Fergusson Drive - for library opening hours, click here
  • Pinehaven Library, Cnr Jocelyn Crescent and Pinehaven Road
  • Expressions Whirinaki Arts and Entertainment Centre, 836 Fergusson Drive - for Expressions opening hours, click here
  • There will also be a box at the Wellington Railway Station for the final week of voting only, Monday 7 October – Friday 11 October from 6.30am to 9.30am, and 4pm to 6.30pm.

Special Voting

You can apply for a special vote up until midday 12 October by either going to the Upper Hutt City Council offices at 838-842 Fergusson Drive or phoning the Council on 527 2133 and asking for a special voting form to be sent to you either in the post or by courier. For voters working in Wellington, see the special vote hub section on this page.

You may be eligible for a special vote if:

  • You didn't receive your voting papers
  • You have lost or damaged your voting papers
  • Your name is not included on the printed electoral roll
  • You have recently enrolled to vote
  • You are on the unpublished (confidential) electoral roll
  • Your address on the electoral roll is out of date 

Special vote hub will support voting across the Wellington region

This election, for the first time, Wellington City Council is hosting a ‘special vote hub’ to provide more voting options for the tens of thousands of voters who commute into the capital each day from Porirua, the Kāpiti Coast, the Hutt Valley and the Wairarapa.

“Any voter who lives in the greater Wellington region can apply for a special vote at the Arapaki Manners Library and Service Centre, no matter where they live,” says Electoral Officer Warwick Lampp.

“This means that if you travel into Wellington City, you can pick up special voting forms here rather than at the Council office near your home address.”

Special votes are available for anyone who has enrolled late, lost their original voting document, or to avoid inconvenience or hardship. The special voting hub is for voters in the Wellington, Porirua, Hutt, Upper Hutt, Kāpiti Coast, South Wairarapa, Carterton, and Masterton city and district council elections.

The special voting hub at the Arapaki Manners Library and Service Centre, 12 Manners Street, Wellington is open this week (commencing 7 October) between 8am and 7pm and from 9am until 12 noon on Election Day, Saturday 12 October 2019.

Enrolling to vote

To vote in a local authority, you need to be enrolled on either the residential roll (the same roll which is used at the General Elections for government which is administered by Elections New Zealand) or on the ratepayer electoral roll (people who do not live in Upper Hutt but own property – this roll is looked after by Council).

To Enrol, Check or Update your details:

Residential roll

You are eligible to enrol on the residential roll if you:

  • are 18 years of age or older; and

  • are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and

  • have lived in New Zealand continuously, at any time, for one year or more, and

  • have lived at your current address for more than one month.

Enrol online:

How to enrol

If you have already registered to be on the parliamentary (electoral) roll, you are automatically enrolled on the local authority residential roll at the address where you live. You do not have to be a ratepayer to qualify for enrolment on the residential roll.

From Monday 1 July, everyone currently on the roll will be sent an enrolment update pack in the mail. All you need to do is check that your details are right. If they are correct, you don’t need to do anything more. If anything needs updating, make the changes and send them back immediately.

Or go online:

Change your address

To change your address details on the residential roll you can:

Ratepayer roll

If you are enrolled on the parliamentary roll in one local authority area and pay rates on a property in another, you may be eligible to apply for enrolment on the ratepayer roll (for the local authority area in which you pay rates but don’t reside).

Companies, organisations or societies paying rates on a property may nominate one of its members or officers as a ratepayer elector (provided that both the person nominating and the nominee live outside the local authority area).

You are eligible to enrol on the residential roll if you:

  • are a registered parliamentary elector, and

  • are a non-resident ratepayer who has applied for enrolment on the ratepayer roll, or if you

  • are a resident outside of Upper Hutt city and have been nominated by a firm, company, corporation or society paying rates on a property in Upper Hutt.

 Ratepayer-Enrolment-Form.pdf(PDF, 102KB)

Contact the Council Deputy Electoral Officer to find out more if you are unsure if you qualify.

Links to more information about local body elections are provided in the Resources & Links section.

Youth voting

It’s not just eligible adults who will be casting their votes in this year’s local elections. School children across New Zealand will also experience a local council election first-hand as voters in the Youth Voting 2019 programme. Supported by Local Government New Zealand as part of its Vote2019 campaign for the October local elections, Youth Voting gives young people aged 11 to 15 the opportunity to engage with real issues, decide which candidates best represent their own views, and vote for real candidates in their region.

View more information about this on the Vote 2019 website –