Birchville Picnic Area
The Birchville Picnic Area sits alongside Te Awa Kairangi - Hutt River and is home to a historic tea shelter, public toilets, and a picnic table.
The public toilets are located to the left of the picnic area, they are open from dawn until dusk.
Historic Tea Shelter
The Tea Shelter was erected by the Tea Bureau (NZ) Company who donated it to the Ministry of Works in 1949. The official handing over ceremony was held on Saturday 10 December 1949.
The tea shelter was the first of its kind in New Zealand, prior to its installation travellers would stop and boil water for tea on the roadside in makeshift fires which created a fire risk. The tea shelter was built for the use of travellers, it was specifically designed to fit within the landscape and provide a safer space to make a fire. A more detailed history of the Tea Shelter prepared by local historian Lynly Yates can be found in the 'Related Information' section on this page.
There are several areas where you can access Te Awa Kairangi - Hutt River by foot. When swimming in Upper Hutt's rivers please remember to be river safe.
Opposite 166 Akatārawa Road, Akatarawa 5018 View Map