Bike Recycling Project
The Bike Recycling Project provides refurbished bikes to children, youth and adults who may not otherwise have access to safe, quality bikes.
Donate a bike
How to make a donation
You can either bring your unwanted bike to H2O Xtream during opening hours or contact Activation via email firstname.lastname@example.org or mobile 027 213 7583 to arrange collection.
Do you have a bike sitting in the shed collecting dust? Why not donate it so that it can be refurbished and rehomed to someone in need?
We accept bicycles of all shapes and sizes. We do ask however that bikes are of a repairable standard. We are not a rubbish removal service.
If you wish to support the project via donation or sponsorship, please contact us, we’d love to hear from you to discuss.
Apply for a bike
How to apply for a bike
You can either apply for yourself or on behalf of someone else. If you are applying for yourself or a member of your own family, you will need to provide a referee who can speak to your circumstances.
We encourage you to complete an application form if the recipient(s) meet the following criteria;
- The recipient is not in a position where they can provide a bike for themselves.
- The recipient lives in Upper Hutt.
Apply online now
About the Bike Recycling Project
The project is managed by Activation
in partnership with Rimutaka Prison, The Cycle Centre, Upper Hutt City Council and Greater Wellington Regional Council.
A special thank you to the men at Rimutaka Prison for dedicating their time and energy to refurbishing the bikes for this community project.
It is also important to recognise the Heretaunga Bookfest Charitable Trust (formerly Rotary) and Bike On New Zealand Charitable Trust for their support providing funds and products respectively. Their generous contributions enables this community service to be offered year after year.
- Provide a sustainable initiative, maximising the lifespan of bicycles.
- Form and maintain local partnerships to support the project year after year.
- Remove barriers for inclusion to bicycle related activities for people with limited financial resources.
- Promote cycling for people of all ages as a fun, practical and environmentally friendly activity with a number of associated health and wellbeing benefits.
- Provide opportunities for a range of inmates to gain knowledge, confidence and skills that may lead to employment and a feeling of personal empowerment.
- Build a team of bicycle repairers that work collaboratively to fix bicycles in a structured and positive environment to support our local communities as part of their rehabilitation.
- Donated bikes are delivered to Rimutaka Prison by Activation.
- Prison inmates at Rimutaka Prison, refurbish bikes to an acceptable safe standard. A mechanical check is conducted before a bike is released.
- Bikes are collected by Activation and distributed to the community. Bikes are provided to people who have met the criteria and have had their application accepted.
Supporting local school bike programmes
In 2021 the project has been extended to provide refurbished bikes to Upper Hutt schools to support their in school bike programmes. Participating schools are provided refurbished bikes, helmets and a free bike maintenance tune up in the first 12 months. The bikes are stored at school and are accessible to the students during school time.
Students are able to access the bikes to participate in school bike programmes and for recreational use during intervals. The Bike Recycling Project partnership recognises the importance of supporting schools providing bike based programmes to encourage higher levels of physical activity.
*1000 characters max
Your feedback is anonymous. If you have a general enquiry or require a response, please Contact us directly instead.