Solid Waste Bylaw guidance

Upper Hutt’s Solid Waste Management and Minimisation Bylaw 2020 is now in effect.

This bylaw sets out provisions for a regional approach to solid waste management and minimisation regulation. 

View the Solid Waste Management and Minimisation Bylaw 2020(PDF, 306KB)

Why do we need a bylaw?

Many individuals and businesses already have good waste minimisation practices in place, but not all. Council will continue to provide education and support to help improve waste management, but also needs to make this compulsory in certain cases. This is essential to prevent unwanted waste going to landfill that could otherwise be diverted.

Also, we need to know the amount of waste going to landfill, or being diverted to better locations.  Data will be collected from some waste partners to help Council better understand if we are on-track to meet our waste target, and ways to improve.

Do other councils have a similar bylaw?

This bylaw has been developed in collaboration with all eight Councils across the Wellington region. This ensures that our bylaw is consistent across all Councils, and everyone affected by it.

How will I be affected by the bylaw? 

Waste Collections from a public place

Must be placed in approved containers, and collected by an approved waste collection operator.

Collection points

You can only dispose of waste at approved collection points e.g. recycling is available at Park Street, and people should deposit clean and separated waste of the approved types only.

Waste collection operators

Waste collection operators (in effect from 25 January 2023) - any waste collector who handles more than 20 tonnes of waste a year will need to apply to Council to become a licenced waste operator. Council will assess how the operator will help minimise waste going to landfill, and how they will handle and dispose of each waste-stream, and report on volumes and waste type collected.

Multi-unit developments

Multi-unit developments (e.g. flats and apartment blocks) - owners/mangers of premises of 10 or more units must make adequate provisions to separate, and deposit all types of waste, including organic waste. A waste management plan must be provided to Council which shows how each waste-stream will be managed. Newly proposed Developments at the design and consenting phase will need to provide a Waste Storage Design suitable for the MUD.

Multi-unit dwelling waste storage and servicing – Regulatory guidance for developers(PDF, 2MB)

Step 1. Application for MUD Waste Storage Area and Servicing Design Approval

Step 2. Application for MUD Waste Servicing Operations Approval


Any event with over 1,000 people attending it must submit a waste minimisation plan. This will include what volumes and types of waste are expected, and the steps taken to minimise waste going to landfill.

After the event, you will also need to report on the types and amounts of waste which were collected.

Some handy guidance and advice on this is available below:

Construction and demolition waste

Projects worth over $2 M will need to submit a waste management plan along with their application for building consent. The plan must include estimated quantities and types of waste, management and disposal for each waste-stream, and steps taken to minimising litter on-site. At the end of the project, a report must be given to Council that shows the types and quantity of waste generated, and how it was disposed of.

Inorganic waste

Council may specify a range of controls around size, weight, location, collections times, health and safety risk etc.

Nuisance and litter

No one is permitted to accumulate waste which causes a nuisance, or becomes offensive. Waste should only be placed in appropriate containers, and domestic or business waste must not be disposed of in Council litter bins.

Unaddressed mail and advertising material

No addressed mail or advertising material is allowed to be deposited in a letterbox marked ‘No junk mail,’ or on a vehicle parked in a public place. Some things are exempt from the bylaw, such as public notices, notifications about utilities maintenance, and community newspapers.

Donation collection points

Anyone wanting to set-up a donation collection point in or on a public place must notify Council, and ensure the point is kept free from any litter, illegal dumping, or graffiti.