Find out how you can dispose of your household waste, and where to take your hazardous waste. 

Disposing of rubbish

There are three ways to dispose of your general household rubbish/waste in Upper Hutt:

Click on each option below for more information.

Visit a landfill or transfer station

Landfill and transfer station

The nearest landfill to Upper Hutt is the Silverstream landfill, which can be found on Reynolds Bach Drive, accessed from Eastern Hutt Road in Silverstream.

Find out more about Silverstream Landfill 

Rubbish can also be taken to the Seaview Transfer Station, which can be found at 27 Seaview Road, Seaview, Lower Hutt.

Find out more about Seaview Transfer Station 

Use Council rubbish bags (plus see collection days)

Council rubbish bags

Upper Hutt City Council rubbish bags are coloured green and can be purchased from local supermarkets and dairies. 
This collection service is funded by a ‘user pays’ system - this means that the more you recycle, the less you need to pay. 
Our waste contractor, Waste Management, supplies Council rubbish bags at an agreed wholesale price to the retailers (supermarkets and dairies) but we do not control the prices set by the stores, so the price you pay can vary from store to store.


Public holidays

If you are using Council rubbish bags, public holidays do not affect collection except for Good Friday, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day. 

  • The collection that would normally take place on Good Friday will take place the next day on Saturday.
  • If your collection falls on Christmas or New Year's Day, collection  will take place the Saturday prior (23rd & 30th December)

If you use a private wheelie bin collection provider, contact your provider for more detailed information about their public holiday collection service.


Council rubbish bag collection is managed by Waste Management.

Please ensure rubbish bags are placed kerbside by 7 am.

Below is a general guide to collection days for Council's rubbish bag collection. Please note that this is a general guide only with some suburbs, such as Elderslea, Trentham and the Central Business District (CBD) being split into two areas and rubbish is collected over two days.

For more information about collection days, or our the rubbish bag collection service, contact Waste Management directly. You can phone them on (04) 568 3550 or send them a message. Alternatively, contact Council to find out the rubbish collection day for your street. 

Day of week Suburb 
Monday  Totara Park, Timberlea, Clouston Park, Maoribank, Kingsley Heights
Tuesday  Ebdentown, Te Marua, Parkdale, Birchville, Brown Owl, Emerald Hill, Central Business District, Mangaroa Valley, Whitemans Valley (Mangaroa Valley Rd to Russell Rd)
Wednesday  Elderslea, Wallaceville, Trentham, Heretaunga South 
Thursday  Poets Block, Cottle Block, Brentwood, Trentham, Heretaunga North, Riverstone Terraces 
Friday  Central Business District, Silverstream, Pinehaven, Whiteman’s Valley (Russell Rd to Blue Mountains), Blue Mountains, Akatarawa, Kaitoke, Moonshine 


Missed collections

For missed collections or for further information contact Council.

Use a private wheelie bin service

Private wheelie bin services

To sign up to a private wheelie bin service, or for up to date information about wheelie bin collections please visit the provider's website or get in contact with them directly.





More waste information 

Click on a dropdown below to read more about each item.

Battery recycling

You can now recycle your household batteries at free collection points in Upper Hutt.

If you have small household batteries, from devices like tv remotes, torches, and hearing aids you can recycle them, for free, and avoid them being sent to landfill.

This trial is an initiative lead by Council, in partnership with Upcycle and local businesses.

Domestic batteries accepted

Alkaline, lithium, coin, nickel cadmium, nickel hydride, silver oxide, carbon zinc, zinc manganese, lead acid, lithium ion and lithium polymer.
Please tape the top of lithium and lead acid batteries to avoid short circuits.

Collection buckets located at

  • Mitre 10 MEGA Upper Hutt
  • New World Silverstream
  • The Warehouse Upper Hutt 
  • Hearing Consultants Upper Hutt
  • PAK'nSAVE Upper Hutt
  • Jock's Vapes (vape battery recycling)

Dump stations

Visitors travelling in motor homes should dispose of their waste water responsibly by visiting a dump station. Dump Stations are facilities that are connected to the mains sewerage system, and help to protect the environment by ensuring waste from motor homes and other campers is disposed of correctly. 
There are two dump stations in Upper Hutt: 
  • Public dump station - Opposite 410 Eastern Hutt Road. Driving North, look out for dump station on your left, just before the rail over-bridge. If driving South, turn off Fergusson Drive onto Eastern Hutt Road. The dump station will be on your right just after the rail over-bridge. 
  • Wellington's Kiwi Holiday Park - 45 Akatarawa Road. Note, unless staying at the holiday park, there will be a fee to use this dump station. 
For more information about waste disposal and dump station locations throughout New Zealand, visit

Hazardous waste

Hazardous waste is anything that could pose a danger either to people or to the environment. This includes things like: 
  • Batteries 
  • Household chemicals 
  • Agrichemicals and DIY supplies (such as paint tins) 
  • Used Oil  
Please take hazardous waste to the Silverstream Transfer Station and use the Hazardous Waste drop off area provided, up to 20L disposal is free. For health and safety reasons, as well as public health and environmental reasons, hazardous waste needs to be managed by organisations with trained staff who can dispose of it safely.

Illegally dumped waste

If you spot illegally dumped waste, you can let us know by submitting a form online.

Putting a skip bin outside your property

If you’re hiring a skip or container bin, you should place it on your own property, if possible.

If you need to place a skip or container bin on the berm, road or in a marked parking space, you will need permission from Upper Hutt City Council. Find out more about putting a skip bin outside your property.