Chemical, hazardous and e-waste

Hazardous waste is anything that could pose a danger either to people or to the environment.

This includes items like:

  • Batteries
  • Light bulbs
  • Household chemicals
  • Agrichemicals and DIY supplies

Please don’t take hazardous waste to the landfill or put it out with your rubbish for collection. For health and safety reasons as well as public health and environmental reasons, hazardous waste needs to be managed by organisations with trained staff who can dispose of it as safely as possible.

Here are some options for getting rid of hazardous waste safely. There may be a charge to cover the cost of disposal of some items. Check with the supplier for further information on what they can accept and for any charge.

Garden or cleaning chemicals, pool chemicals, batteries, oil, petrol, fluorescent or LED bulbs

You can take them to Waste Management Technical Services, 57-59 Port Road, Seaview (Monday to Friday). For further information, ph 568 0780 or go to their website.

Agrecovery Rural Recycling Programme

Agrecovery is New Zealand’s solution for the safe disposal of unwanted agrichemicals, and the recycling of empty containers, drums and IBCs (Intermediate Bulk Container). Freephone 0800 247 326.

Ammunition or gunpowder

Can be taken to the Gun Shop in Upper Hutt for disposal.

Appliances, whiteware and furniture:

Used repairable furniture and appliances (except fridges/freezers) can be taken to Earthlink.

25 Peterkin Street, Wingate, Lower Hutt 5019

Hours: Monday-Friday 10am - 4pm, Saturday 10am - 3pm
Phone: 04 567 7111 

Dental products

These products aren’t hazardous, but can’t go in the recycling either. Colgate, New World and TerraCycle have teamed up to create a network of in-store drop-off points that will accept any brand of toothpaste tubes and packaging. Items accepted for recycling include non-electric toothbrushes, floss containers, interdental brushes and; all the associated packaging for recycling. Schools can also partner with Terracycle and become depots. Postage is provided. 

Domestic gas bottles

Can be taken to The Dive Shop, 227 Waiwhetu Road, Lower Hutt
Phone: 04 567 3981
There is a $5 charge per domestic gas bottle to cover the cost of disposal.


'Recycling for Charity' is an e-waste business that will recycle computers and other electronic waste. They donate a percentage of their profit to a charity of your choice.

1 King Charles Drive, Upper Hutt

Hours: Monday-Friday, 10am - 6pm, Saturday 10am - 4pm

Or for free pick-up, use the contact form on their website to send Daniel a message. For further information go to

ITRecycla offer electronic and computer recycling and safe data destruction. They also accept batteries, rechargeable batteries, and mobile phones.

Unit 2 101 Gracefield Road, Lower Hutt

Phone: 04 589 6293 

Remark IT are also based in Upper Hutt at 415 Maidstone Terrace and contactable on 04 912 1015. They sell high quality refurbished products.


Call Fire Service or Police

Fluorescent and LED bulbs

T8LED offer disposal of fluorescent or LED bulbs. For further information contact 0800 4 T8LED (4 88533) or email, or

Interwaste also offer a recycling service for all forms of mercury lamps.

Phone: 04 566 6600

Medical waste or needles

These require a sharps container. Contact your local pharmacy or Interwaste.

Mobile phones

You can recycle your old phone at a 2°, Vodafone or Spark store. IT Recycla in Lower Hutt will also accept them.


Some kinds of paint can be to Resenes Colorshop at 1036 Fergusson Drive, Upper Hutt or at Dulux store Rutherford Street, Lower Hutt

Waste cement or concrete

For small quantities, pour wet cement or concrete onto soil and let it harden as small lumps. These can be disposed of with your household rubbish. Larger quantities can be buried in your garden, or taken to the landfill.

Special waste list


  • Asbestos
  • Commercial products or chemicals
  • Empty containers, rinsed of all hazardous substances
  • Commercial, construction and demolition waste
  • Industrial and commercial waste
  • Commercially sensitive materials that require witness burials
  • Dead animals
  • Dust, sludges and sewage treatment plant waste
  • Bulky items and loads over 10 tonnes
How do I dispose of listed special waste?

You need to:

Contact Silverstream landfill (04) 563 6952 Give your filled-out form to the landfill kiosk attendant along with the relevant fee.