Vehicle Crossings

A vehicle crossing extends from the edge of the road to the front boundary of a property. It provides the access to your property from the road and normally connects to your driveway.


A permit is required to carry out any work in the road, footpath or berm, including construction of a new or replacement vehicle crossing. The required permit is called a Corridor Access Request (CAR). You can lodge a CAR on the beforeUdig website (a contractor may do this on your behalf). This will also give you information about underground services in the area. 

Gaining Council approval prior to construction is a requirement of Council’s Public Places Bylaw 2005, Section 8. 


Frequently Asked Questions

Who is responsible for repairing /extending/building a new vehicle crossing/driveway?

Vehicle crossings are the sole responsibility of the property owner. 

It is the property owner’s responsibility to maintain any existing crossing in front of their property, including the kerb and channel used to access the property. 

In exceptional circumstances (e.g. where Council believes that there is a safety issue), Council can require the property owner to repair or replace their vehicle crossing. 


What if someone has dug up or damaged my vehicle crossing/driveway?

Contact Upper Hutt City Council to report the damage as soon as possible. Council will help resolve the issue, if the damage was caused by a contractor working on the road. 


How should the vehicle crossing be constructed/built?

Refer to Council’s specifications for constructing vehicle crossings Vehicle Crossing Plans 

A Residential Vehicle Crossing is suitable for access for up to two dwellings. 

A Heavy Duty Vehicle Crossing is required where three or more dwellings use the access. 

An Extra Heavy Duty Vehicle Crossing is required where heavy vehicles will regularly use the access (e.g. commercial or industrial sites). 

If you are constructing a new vehicle crossing, you must also consider if there are any clashes. Are there any of the following in the way? 

  • signs, 

  • streetlights,  

  • power poles, 

  • transformers, 

  • road sumps/catchpits, 

  • trees, 

  • kerb outlets, 

  • manholes or service covers, 

  • speed humps, 

  • car parks,  

  • bus stops.

If there are any clashes, please contact for advice.

More detailed information can be found in Council’s Code of Practice for Civil Engineering Works, which can be found here Code of Practice




How do I lodge a Corridor Access Request (CAR)?

If you have engaged a builder or contractor to do the construction work for you, they can lodge the CAR on your behalf. 

If you are lodging the CAR yourself, please follow the following steps: 

  1. Navigate to the beforeUdig website - beforeUdig

  2. Register a new user profile. 

  3. Click the “Submit an Enquiry” button. 

  4. Fill in the forms, noting the location of your vehicle crossing. 

There are helpful guides on under the “Home owner” section to help you fill in these forms.

5. If you selected that the work is within the “Berm”, “Footpath”, or “Carriageway”, a CAR will automatically be created and submitted to Council for review and approval. 

6. Council will contact whoever lodged the CAR to approve the CAR or request further information. 


How much does a permit cost?

This work is generally classified as Major Work and the fee covers the permit and inspection. 

View the current fees and charges



Do I need a Traffic Management Plan (TMP)?

Yes. Before carrying out any work on a public road, footpath or berm, a traffic management plan must be created and submitted to Council. 

Please note that a TMP must be completed by a trained and qualified traffic management professional. 

If your builder/contractor is not qualified to create and manage a TMP, Council can provide a list of suitable traffic management firms.  

All costs associated with a TMP are the responsibility of the property owner. 



Can I do the work myself?

No, the work must be done by a suitably qualified builder or contractor.



Does Council need to inspect the crossing?

Yes, Council needs inspect the crossing immediately before the concrete is poured. This is known as a “pre-pour” inspection. 

Please contact to arrange a pre-pour inspection - with at least two working days’ notice. 


Can I relocate, widen or have a second vehicle crossing?

It may be possible but it depends on the proposed location. Contact Upper Hutt City Council for advice. 

Please contact 


Council has done work on my street and now my car scrapes when I enter/exit my property

Contact Upper Hutt City Council to report the issue as soon as possible. We will inspect to investigate the cause and may make an adjustment to the road surface to rectify the problem. 

If you have seen an issue or problem with a vehicle crossing, please tell us about it.