Responsible dog ownership
Responsible Owner status replaced Special Owner status and was approved by Council in June 2011. The intent behind the change to the classification is to provide a better way to protect dog owners and other people from dogs who have in the past got out of their property and been able to roam, or been able to rush at or attack people visiting their property. Reduced registration fees are available to those dog owners who meet the responsible owner status criteria. These criteria are:
- you can demonstrate good control over your dog when an Animal Control Officer inspects your property
- you keep your dog(s) securely contained within your property and allow people access to a door of your residence without encountering the dog(s) or
- you have signs erected on or near the front entrance of your property alerting to the presence of my dog(s)
- you register your dog(s) by 1 August of each year
- you have not been issued an infringement notice or you have not had your dog(s) impounded more than once within the last 12 months
To apply, complete the responsible owner application form(PDF, 70KB) and send it in to us. We will then contact you to arrange a visit.
Applications can be made throughout the year however inspections will only be carried out between 1 February and 31 May each year.
You will be sent a letter confirming receipt of your application. An Animal Control Officer will contact you during the inspection period to arrange a suitable time to visit your property.
If you are renting a property where the dog is being kept, a letter from your landlord allowing you to keep the dog on that property is required.
*1000 characters max
Your feedback is anonymous. If you have a general enquiry or require a response, please Contact us directly instead.