Deceased dog

An owner of a dog must notify Council in writing if their dog has passed away and return the registration tag. 

Within a registration year (1 July of one year to 30 June the following year) Council is able to issue a refund if requested by owners of a dog who has passed away.

The refund must be requested in writing or via our online form. 

You will need to provide Council with a death certificate if you have taken your dog to your vet, as well as your dog tag.

The refund will be a pro rata amount which is calculated on what month of the registration year your dog passed away and how many months are remaining in the registration year.

We will deposit your refund directly into your bank account so verification of your account may be required.

Deceased dog - registration fee refund request

Alternatively, you can make the request in person at Council's cashier’s desk:

Upper Hutt City Council
Level 2, Civic Administration Building
838 Fergusson Drive
Upper Hutt