Change address or ownership of a dog

Changing address If you are moving address please let council know – in writing (email is accepted).

Post to:

Animal Services
Upper Hutt City Council
838-842 Fergusson Drive
Upper Hutt

Email to:

For further details or enquiries, please contact us on (04) 527 2169

Moving into Upper Hutt

You can transfer your dog’s registration from your previous council free of charge. Once you have moved to the new address, provide us with your previous tag or receipt, and microchip number details and we’ll give you a new tag. You must also let your previous council area know of the transfer within six weeks of your move.

Moving out of Upper Hutt and/or moving within Upper Hutt

Notify us within 14 days, in writing by post or email. If you hold responsible dog owner status you will need to re-apply to get it transferred to your new property.

Changing ownership

If you get a dog that is registered under another owner’s name, or you are giving your dog to someone else, please let council know within 14 days. Contact the Compliance team on (04) 527 2169 or email for information and advice on changing the ownership for your dog.