Noise Control

Excessive Noise - Urgent Noise Complaints

 For excessive noise such as:
  • Loud music or instruments
  • Parties
  • Construction or power tool use outside working hours
  • Security alarms (buildings and vehicles)

How to lodge a complaint

You can lodge a noise complaint at any time, including after-hours and weekends by contacting the Council on (04) 527 2169.   

If there is anti-social behaviour the Police should be called.

Loud party and stereo noise are by far the most common complaints. When making a complaint, you will often be asked to call back in 30 minutes to verify that the noise is still occurring. This is because many noisy activities only occur for a limited time, usually less than 30 minutes.

What happens

Noise Control officers will respond to the address concerned and decide if the noise is reasonable or excessive by considering things such as volume, time, tone and duration.

If the officer decides it's excessive, we can issue a noise direction that means the noise maker needs to reduce the volume straight away. This is in force for up to 72 hours. Failure to obey the notice can result in equipment seizure or a fine of up to $10,000.

Excessive noise is managed under the Resource Management Act 1991.

Non-urgent noise complaints

For other types of noise which may not be urgent and are often an ongoing issue, the following provides information on who you can contact to discuss further.  

Other types of noise

Barking Dogs

All dogs bark, however, some do become more persistent and constant than others.

There may be different reasons why some dogs bark, and the following are a list of common barking reasons.

  • Alert or warning
  • Fear
  • Attention seeking
  • Play or excitement
  • Boredom
  • Lonely or anxious

If you have concerns regarding a barking dog in your neighborhood, please contact us on (04) 527 2169 or email and we will investigate. 

Report and animal issue online  



Construction Noise

Construction activity, including building work, can be noisy. The District Plan restricts such activities which generate loud noise (such as power tools or use of heavy machinery) to the following hours. 

Monday to Saturday

7.00am to 7.00pm

Construction work permitted

Sunday and Public Holidays

At all times

No noisy construction

Monday to Saturday

7.00pm to 7.00am

Work can continue, but no noisy construction

Construction or building related work that is not noisy can occur otherwise. For example, if you notice builders setting up at a site before 7am but not generating loud noise, this is acceptable.

Many people see the weekend as an opportunity to carry out construction or building work, however work generating loud noise should be avoided on Sundays and public holidays.

If there is repetitive noisy construction work occurring that impacts on you, then you can contact Council on (04) 527 2169 or email and we will investigate. 




Industrial or Commercial Noise

Noise complaints about an industrial or commercial business’s usual activities will need to be monitored with a Sound Level Meter by an Environmental Health Officer. The District Plan details the noise standards for industrial and commercial activity across Upper Hutt.

Operative District Plan - ePlan

If you have concerns regarding noise from an industrial or commercial activity, then you can contact Council on (04) 527 2169 or email and we will investigate. 

Heat Pumps

Heat pumps have the potential to exceed what's considered to be a reasonable noise level and create a nuisance, particularly at night-time and when they're located close to a property boundary. Please consider this when you're deciding on a location for your heat pump.

If you do not consider that noise from a neighbours heat pump is reasonable, then you can contact Council on  (04) 527 2169 or email and we will investigate. 



Complaints about traffic noise should be directed to the New Zealand Police