Managing a licensed premises

A manager's certificate is needed by anyone who intends to be a manager of a licensed premises such as a bar, supermarket, hotel, tavern or club.

You should only apply to Upper Hutt City Council (your local District Licensing Committee) if your business/workplace is based in Upper Hutt.

A new manager’s certificate expires after 12 months. It is the responsibility of the applicant to apply for a renewal before the expiry date of your certificate. We cannot issue a renewal for an expired certificate. You will need to start as a new applicant instead. Renewals are issued for three years.

Appointing Managers

When a manager has been granted a manager’s certificate and will start acting as a duty manager, the licensee must notify the Council’s District Licensing Committee. Notification must also be made if a manager is dismissed, resigns or their certificate is cancelled.

Notification must be made within 2 working days of any appointment or change in employment status.

The District Licensing Committee may decide not to approve the appointment of any temporary or acting manager. This decision must be made within 5 working days of receiving the appointment notification.

Temporary Manager

If a certified manager is ill, absent, dismissed or resigns, the licensee can appoint a temporary manager. The temporary manager does not need to hold a current manager’s certificate, but must lodge an application for a manager’s certificate within 2 working days of the appointment. The temporary manager’s status will remain in effect until their application has been considered.

If the application is not lodged within two working days, or the application is refused, the licensee must stop using that person as a manager.

Acting Manager

If a manager is ill or absent, the licensee may appoint an acting manager for no more than 3 weeks at any one time, or for a period of no more than 6 weeks in any 12-month period. Acting managers can be appointed to cover planned or unplanned leave.