Before you apply

If you are selling and supplying alcohol  to the public in Upper Hutt you will need a alcohol  licence. You will also need to be familiar with the laws and regulations under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.

You must ensure that:

  • you have a certificate of use;

  • you have the correct licences;

  • your managers have current certificates; and,

  • you have a host responsibility policy in place to care for your patrons and staff.

Assistance with your application

The Health Promotion Agency has recently developed two guides to assist those applying for a licence, preparing for a District Licensing Committee hearing, or objecting to the grant of a licence.

The guides are available at

We have a number of pages on our site that will help you understand what is required, and how to apply. We encourage you to browse through this content and for any further questions, get in touch.

Ph: (04) 527 2169