Apply for a temporary authority

When a new owner purchases a licensed premise, such as a restaurant or bar, the existing licence is not transferable. To enable a new owner to operate the business under the same terms and conditions as the existing licence, a ‘Temporary Authority’ is issued provided the premises has a current ON or OFF Licence which has 3 months or more before expiry.

Make an application

All alcohol licence applications need to be sent to us with two additional copies i.e. the original application, and two complete copies.

When you are ready to apply for a Temporary Authority, download and complete the following application form.

Application for Temporary Authority(PDF, 154KB)

Please ensure you have filled out all the information in detail on the form.
Payment of $296.70 is required on application

How long will it take?

We need a minimum of 10 working days to process your application. The Temporary Authority maybe granted for up to three months from the date of issue, depending on how much time is left on the existing licence.

The next step

Once you have your Temporary Authority issued, you will need to then apply and pay for a Certificate of Use COU and your new ON, OFF, CLUB Licence can be applied and paid for at the same time but processing will not start until the COU has been approved. As that can take up to five to six weeks, it is recommended that you commence this process promptly.