What is building consent?
A building consent is a formal document allowing building work to be completed. It is confirmation that a building consent authority is satisfied on reasonable grounds that the proposed building work, once completed in accordance with that building consent (and approved plans and specifications), will comply with the Building Code. Building Consent requirements are set by central government and are intended to ensure that buildings are safe, healthy and durable.
It is granted and issued under the Building Act 2004 (“the Act”). The purpose of the Act is to ensure buildings are safe, sanitary, have attributes that contribute to health and physical independence, have suitable means of escape from fire and are designed to be able to be used in ways that promote sustainable development.
When is building consent required
Buildings cannot be constructed, altered, demolished, or removed without building consent. However under section 41 of the Act, building consent is not required in certain cases such as:
- Any building work described in Schedule 1 of the Act for which a building consent is not required.
- Urgent work for the purpose of saving or protecting life or health or preventing serious damage to property, where obtaining a building consent prior is impracticable. If you believe your situation meets the test for urgent works please contact us so we can advise you on practicalities and other requirements.
- Energy work (gas fitting or prescribed electrical work) does not require a building consent unless the energy work relates to any specified system that is contained in, or proposed to be contained in, any building.
Check if you need consent
Schedule 1 of the Act describes work that is exempt such as:
- General repair, maintenance and replacement
- Single-storey detached buildings not exceeding 10 square metres in floor area
- Veranda or carports where the roof area is less than 20m2
- Low level retaining walls
- A low level patio or deck
- Demolition of detached building For the complete list of the exemptions and information on Schedule 1 read Building work that does not require a building consent
*1000 characters max
Your feedback is anonymous. If you have a general enquiry or require a response, please Contact us directly instead.