Do you need consent?
Please note: We recommend you contact one of our planners to talk about your building project to check compliance with the District Plan. Even if it does not need a building consent, it may require a resource consent. You can contact the duty planner on 04 5272169 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Buildings cannot be constructed, altered, demolished, or removed without building consent. However under section 41 of the Building Act, building consent is not required in certain cases such as:
- Any building work described in Schedule 1 of the Building Act for which a building consent is not required.
- Urgent work for the purpose of saving or protecting life or health or preventing serious damage to property, where obtaining a building consent prior is impracticable. If you believe your situation meets the test for urgent works please contact us so we can advise you on practicalities and other requirements.
- Energy work (gas fitting or prescribed electrical work) does not require a building consent unless the energy work relates to any specified system that is contained in, or proposed to be contained in, any building.
Schedule 1 of the Act describes work that is exempt such as:
- General repair, maintenance and replacement
- Single-storey detached buildings not exceeding 10 square metres in floor area
- Veranda or carports where the roof area is less than 20m2
- Low level retaining walls
- A low level patio or deck
- Demolition of detached building
The link below provides extensive guidance on the various exemptions with examples of what can and cannot be done, by whom, and without consent. For example replacing a solid fuel heater (wood burner) is not work that can be done without consent.
New building consent exemptions
New building consent exemptions took effect from 31 August 2020 as The Government added additional building consent exemptions to the Building Act.
New building consent exemptions – Building Performance
We recommend you contact one of our planners to talk about your specific site and any proposed building. They can let you know if a resource consent is required and advise on how to apply. Here is a link to the District Plan
*1000 characters max
Your feedback is anonymous. If you have a general enquiry or require a response, please Contact us directly instead.