Code Compliance Certificate

Code Compliance Certificate

A code compliance certificate (CCC) is a formal statement that building work carried out under a building consent complies with:

  • the building consent issued and,
  • in a case where a compliance schedule (or amended compliance schedule) is required as a result of the building work, the specified systems in the building are capable of performing to the performance standards set out in the building consent.

 When issued, it concludes the consent process however please note that buildings with specified systems and compliance schedules require annual building warrants of fitness.

When and how to apply for a code compliance certificate

An owner must apply for a CCC (as soon as practicable) after all work relating to their building consent has been completed.

Find a link to the application form below and attach all relevant supporting material; such as energy certificates, as-built drainage plans and required documents (as referenced in consent attachments and inspection notices). Your completed application can be forwarded to us in three ways:

  • By emailing your application and/or a web link to your documents to
  • Bring it to our reception – 838 – 842 Fergusson Drive, Upper Hutt.
  • By post (or courier) to – Upper Hutt City Council, Private Bag 907, Upper Hutt 5140

Applications are checked for completeness before they are accepted. Please ensure that your documents are combined into a single PDF and in the same order as they appear in the list on the required items letter attached to the building consent. If the documents are very large, such as the case for commercial type buildings, then multiple PDF can be submitted providing they are appropriately named.

Application forms can be found at You'll be looking for the form: Application for Code Compliance Certificate (Form 6)

How code compliance certificates are processed

To issue a CCC we must be satisfied on reasonable grounds that that the building work complies with the building consent. In the case where a compliance schedule (or amendment) is required we must be satisfied that specified systems are capable of performing to the performance standards set out in the building consent.

We have 20 working days to process applications. The clock starts on receipt of a complete application and may be suspended for requests for further information. A suspended clock will restart when all information requested has been received.

Any fees owed for extra work, inspections or development contributions will be requested and need to be recovered prior to issuing a CCC.

We will send out invoices for fees and levies. The invoices contain the details for paying by internet banking; alternatively you can pay invoices at Council reception.

Signing off old consents

When considering old consents we will first conduct a desktop assessment of the file to see where the build is at from our perspective. Following that we can advise the best way forward. Depending on the complexity of the task we may need to recover our costs for the review.

Signing off such a building is not always a straightforward task and not something that can be completed solely by way of inspection. Council officers need to step their way through the process and the decisions that they make; very carefully. There can be several factors for Council to consider to be satisfied that the building work complies and duly certify the work (code compliance certificate). Council may request that you engage a professional specialist to assist you in evidencing the building work’s compliance. Issuing a code compliance certificate is in some cases not possible when there are gaps in the body of evidence (e.g. inspections that have been missed, inspections that have failed and required documentation that remains outstanding). There is also a need to consider the durability of building elements which by law commences the date CCC is issued. An owner can apply for a modification to durability regulations but this must be by way of an official amendment application (noting that there are additional fees and time involved).

If you intend to sell your property, please check with Council to see if there are unresolved consents associated with it. Files can be researched at the public kiosk at out reception, alternatively an application for a Land Information Memorandum (LIM) is the most reliable way of obtaining the information that Council holds.

We appreciate that some owners will enter into agreements and as an unintended consequence desire sign off with urgency. Council officers are mindful that selling a property can be a stressful experience, however, they cannot let time pressures impede the care required when making such decisions.