Silverstream Pipe Bridge funding approved
Published on 22 March 2022
The Silverstream Pipe Bridge project funding was approved by Greater Wellington Regional Council last week.
The Silverstream Pipe Bridge will replace the ageing Kaitoke bulk water main, which supplies treated drinking water to all of Porirua City and 40% of Wellington City. The current water main is in poor condition, and sits below SH2, which makes accessing it for repairs extremely tricky.
This innovative new replacement will increase the seismic resilience of our drinking water network, and will protect our water supply in the event of an earthquake.
The pipe is being built to fit along the bridge, with room for a cycleway, which will cross over Te Awa Kairangi/Hutt River.
There are three related drinking water network projects in the vicinity:
- The Silverstream Pipe Bridge project (shown as grey on the map below) - the consent processing is nearing completion.
- The Kingsley watermain renewal (shown as purple) – work here is well under way with works on hold for the next two months for the piling and stream crossing works to be done.
- The Eastern Hutt Road watermain renewal (shown as blue) - consent is granted for this section of pipeline, the construction work is being carried out by Wellington Pipelines.
Wellington Pipelines is planning to retain their existing site compound next to Hulls Creek on the corner of Reynolds Bach Drive.
This section of pipeline unfortunately requires the removal of poplar trees and vegetation. The project team has worked with our Parks and Reserves team regarding the vegetation removal and replanting for the pipeline either side of the rail bridge. The trees that need to be removed have been marked at the end of last week with an ‘X’ in the photo below.
Over the next two weeks there will be some preparation works which include:
- Installing site fencing/signage
- Vegetation removal (just under 20 trees)
- Preparing haul roads, temporary laydown area
- No excavation would be completed for the site preparation works
The video below provides a visual flyover of what the new pipe bridge will look like when construction is complete.
To find out more about the project, go to wellingtonwater.co.nz/spb