Published on 19 January 2021
There has been plenty of congestion in our city over the last couple of weeks due to the roadworks we’re carrying out. Typically this is the best time of year to do this work because it’s quieter, but traffic volumes have been much higher than expected, making the delays worse.
We know it’s frustrating and we’re doing our best to get through the work as quickly as we can. Here’s a quick update on where things are at:
- Remediation works being carried out on State Highway 2 by Waka Kotahi NZTA are extensive and have taken longer than planned. They’ve had to contend with some less than ideal weather too.
- We had planned for the works on Fergusson Drive to follow on from the SH2 works but with the delays, the two have overlapped.
- The team managing our work are scheduled to be deployed for the next big push on Transmission Gully and this combined with the opportunity to take advantage of the weather, give us no flexibility to delay our works.
- There is more work planned for SH2 but Waka Kotahi NZTA are hoping to do that once the disruption on Fergusson Drive has ended.
- We gave you a heads up on Friday about the work happening on Gibbons Street. That’s begun now and shouldn’t take more than a week to complete, but we need good weather.
- And finally, we’ll be starting a retaining wall repair in Silverstream next week, traffic and pedestrian management will be in place for approximately six weeks. We’ll be contacting residents and local businesses in that area with more information over the next few days.
We really appreciate your patience.