Community gathering to be held at Upper Hutt’s ‘green space’
Published on 18 March 2019
A community gathering will be held on Wednesday 20 March at 5.00 pm to mark the tragic events in Ōtautahi Christchurch last Friday, and to show support for the victims and their families, and our local Muslim community. The event will be hosted by Upper Hutt City Council at the ‘green space’ opposite the Civic Centre and Expressions Whirinaki.
The green space usually serves as a make-shift carpark so Council requests that the area remain vehicle-free on Wednesday for the event at 5.00 pm.
Council has opened a book of condolences at Upper Hutt Central Library which is available for those wanting to express their condolences.
Please note the following temporary road closures
- The ‘green space’ and its associated parking area (between Fergusson Drive and Criterion Lane) will be CLOSED ALL DAY Wednesday 20 March.
- All carparks on Fergusson Drive between the Blenheim Street roundabout and VTNZ.
- Criterion Lane CLOSED from Fergusson Drive entrance to VTNZ (rear).
- Fergusson Drive CLOSED between the Blenheim Street roundabout and VTNZ.
- Criterion Lane CLOSED.
- Fergusson Drive CLOSED between the Blenheim Street roundabout and Wilson Street.
Roads are expected to reopen at approximately 7.30 pm.
Gathering also at Hutt City
There will be another community event hosted by Hutt City Council and the Hutt Recreation Ground at 7.00 pm. Hutt City Council has also opened a condolence book at the Council Administration Building in Laings Road for anyone wanting to express their condolences.