What is resource consent?

Resource Consent requirements are determined by the Upper Hutt City Council district plan and are based around conditions specific to Upper Hutt and the District Plan zones (residential, industrial, rural etc.) They address effects on the wider environment – including noise, traffic and amenity. 

If your project could impact on the environment or could affect other people, you may require a resource consent. Any development, subdivision or other proposed use of land must be assessed against the Council’s District Plan. The District Plan contains rules and standards relating to different types of activities in different parts of the City.

Under the Resource Management Act 1991, the Upper Hutt City Council issues two types of resource consents covering;

  • Land use
  • Subdivisions

Land Use Consent:

A Land Use consent is a type of resource consent. You will need a Land Use Consent if you wish to use your land for something that is not allowed by a rule in the District Plan. An example is building a house too close to a property boundary; or operating certain businesses from home.

Subdivision Consent:

Subdivision consent is required to subdivide land or buildings for separate ownership, such as new lots of sections (fee simple), unit title, flat plans (cross lease) or company lease.

Do I need a resource consent?

If you are considering a project or activity which may require a resource consent, Upper Hutt City Council planning staff will be able to assist. They can explain which activities require resource consents under the Upper Hutt District Plan. If consent is required, they can provide guidance on the type of effects, assessment and consultation that would be appropriate for your proposal. They will likely be able to signal to you when you will need to involve professional(s) to assist you with your application.

Applying for a Resource Consent

All applications for resource consent must contain a completed application form and an assessment of environmental effects.

You need to ensure that you provide enough information for Planning Officers to consider your proposal. If they require further information, this can delay your application. In some cases, you will need to seek advice from a specialist such as a consultant planner, surveyor, landscape architect, registered engineer, traffic engineer or similar person.

Affected Party approval/Public notification:

When you apply for resource consent, a Planning Officer will determine if there are any parties deemed potentially affected by your proposal and if the proposal needs to go through the public notification process;

Any resource consent will follow one of three procedures;

  • Non-notified
  • Limited notified
  • Publicly notified

Discussing a proposal with your neighbours and getting their written approval before you apply for a resource consent can reduce the time it takes for you application to be assessed. If you approach neighbours sooner rather than later, you may be able to modify your proposal to address any concerns they may have. It can be more time consuming and costly to change an application once you have applied for a resource consent and finalised plans.

Contact us on (04) 527 2169 for assistance.