Restricted building work

Restricted building work

Restricted building work is work that’s critical to make a home structurally sound and weathertight. Restricted building work must be carried out or supervised by a licensed building practitioner who is licensed to carry out or supervise that kind of building work.

Licensed building practitioners

Licensed building practitioners carrying out restricted building work must provide Certificates of Design Work or Records of Building Work. Licensed building practitioners must be registered.


Owner-Builders are able to carry out restricted building work on their own home; the Owner-Builder exemption ensures the Kiwi tradition of DIY building work can continue. For guidance on the obligations and responsibilities of owner-builders please click on the link below.