Public occupation of buildings affected by building work

It is an offence to allow the public use or occupation of a building if a building consent is required for work or code compliance certificate for consented work has not been obtained. Despite this a building (or part of a building) may be used or occupied by the public if a certificate for public use has been issued. Certificate for public use requires an application form to be completed, and council has 20 working days to determine if it can be issued.