Apply for a LIM

House timber framing

Before you buy or sell a home, it’s a good idea to get a LIM. For home buyers, it will give you information about what you're buying - for peace of mind. It also helps streamline the selling process for vendors, with one less condition on the sale.

Apply for a LIM

What is a Land Information Memorandum (LIM)?

A LIM is a Land Information Memorandum. A LIM is a document, prepared when it is requested by you, giving information relating to a specific property. The Council is obliged to make it available under Section 44A Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987.

Who Can Apply for a LIM?

Anyone. Those involved in a property transaction: buyers, sellers, real estate agents, lawyers and lenders are some of the people who may find a LIM useful.

Anyone can apply for a LIM, but it should be noted that a LIM report is confidential to the person who ordered the report. Council cannot disclose the contents of a LIM report to a third party.

What Information Will I Find in a LIM?

The information required to be contained in a LIM is set out in Section 44A Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987, including:

  • Special land features or characteristics known to the Council and not on the District Plan, such matters as potential erosion, removal of land by water action, falling debris, subsidence, slippage, flooding, the deposition of silt from flooding and the presence of hazardous contaminants that are likely to be relevant to the land and are known to the Council.
  • Private and public storm water and sewerage drains shown.
  • Whether the land is supplied with drinking water, and if so—the type of supply.
  • Any rates owing on the property.
  • Any consent, certificate, notice, order or requisition affecting the land or any building on the land previously issued by the Council under the Building Act 2004, or any other Act, including resource consents.
  • Any consents or certificates that are issued by any Building Certifiers.
  • Weathertight Homes claims advised to Upper Hutt City Council by the Department of Building and Housing.
  • Information provided to Upper Hutt City Council by any statutory organisation which has the power to classify land or buildings.
  • Information that has been notified to the Council by a network utility operator under the Building Act 1991 or 2004.
  • The use to which the land may be put and any conditions attached to that use.

A LIM report may also include other information Council deems to be relevant to the property.

Council can only provide information that it holds at the time the report is written. Some issues may exist that the Council is unaware of and has no information on; for example, previous owners may have carried out work without reference to Council.

Council do not provide interpretation of this information or advice on how to interpret or utilise this information. You should seek your own independent and professional advice on what the information means.

How is a LIM Different to Just Viewing the Building File at Council?

Upper Hutt City Council do not have full property records available for public viewing, but you are able to view building files/records at the public computers at reception, or request these through Please contact us. If you are just after plans or information on a building consent, then the above process is recommended.

A LIM report is more comprehensive report, where in addition to the building files, other land and property information is checked.  This includes but is not limited to:

  • Council's electronic filing system
  • Resource consents relating to the property
  • Council graphic information systems (GIS)
  • Circulation to relevant departments within Council
  • Aerial photograph
  • Zoning and District Plan information

How Do I Apply for a LIM?

A copy of the Record of Title must be provided with the application. It is best to get a historical search copy of the title.

To get a copy of your Record of Title – you can get this from Land Information New Zealand - Order a Record of Title

How Long Will it Take to Get a LIM?

Legislation requires the LIM be issued within 10 working days; however, the LIM will be issued earlier should timeframes allow.

Day 1 is the first working day after the application has been received (and payment has been received).

Please Note: working days do not include Saturday and Sunday, Wellington Anniversary Day, Waitangi Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Anzac Day, King’s Birthday, Te Rā Aro ki a Matariki/Matariki Observance Day, or Labour Day. If Waitangi Day or Anzac Day falls on a Saturday or Sunday the following Monday is not a working day.

Working days also exclude any day in the period commencing with 20 December of any year and ending with 10 January in the following year.

How Much Does it Cost?

  • $370.00 for a residential/rural LIM
  • $580.00 for a commercial/industrial LIM
  • $120.00 per hour for additional time (where appropriate)

Refer to Council LIM Fees and Charges for further details.

Once Council has received your application, an invoice will be generated and emailed within 24 hours (or the following Monday if lodged during the weekend). Instructions for payment will be on the invoice. Council start processing LIMS once the application fee has been paid

Can my LIM be fast tracked?

Unfortunately, Upper Hutt City Council is not able to fast track applications, but all LIMs are processed as quickly as possible.

NOTE: Please be sure that all the information requested on the form is included and payment is made promptly, so that we can start preparing your LIM from the date you lodge it.

How To Cancel A LIM

If you’d like to cancel the processing of your LIM, let us know as soon as possible by emailing

If your application is cancelled within the first 3 working days, a 75% refund will be given.  

What if a Property has more than one Certificate of Title or Council Property Number?

If the properties are adjoining, owned by the same person and operated as one entity, then generally we can process the LIM request as one application, although there can be exceptions. A member of the LIM team will notify you of what applies for the property/properties referred to in your application. Please note if there are multiple titles, we will need all relevant Certificates of Title.